In 1900 two gentlemen with the ‘golfing bug in their veins’, bank manager, Walter Mull and engineer Tommy Cutting approached local farmer, Mr Slade of Holders Hill House (now part of the Hasmonean School) on Holders Hill Road . They sought his agreement to rent his 38 acres of grassland on the east side of Holders Hill Road as a golf course. Agreement was reached on a rent of the "princely sum" of £10 per year which included a room as a dressing room. 9 small greens were laid out with oversized holes, maintained by the two golfers with Mr Slade's livestock looking after the rest. Cream teas were available at the price of one shilling or 5p in today’s money.